Saturday, March 24, 2007

An Evening with the Parentals

It's my Mum's 76th birthday on Tuesday so I am now off to the wilds of North Essex to take her and my Dad out to dinner at The Three Hills pub in Bartlow this evening. Somehow I don't really think of my parents as being in their late seventies.

I spent many a happy evening in the Three Hills in my misspent youth. It's just reopened after a long period of closure so it will be interesting to see if the food is as good as it used to be.

I shall also tape the Israel v England game. My Dad always delights in telling me the score of a game I have taped. Well, to be more accurate, he doesn't tell me the score he drops hints which are as subtle as a brick. "Lampard had a good game," he'll say, or "you want to watch out for Gerrard,". Nice one Dad.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Lampard had a good game,"

So the last time you taped an England game must have been, what, back in Euro 2004 - at the very latest?

Anonymous said...

If your Mum is 76 she is not in her late 70s yet.

Anonymous said...

Iain, just hope that your Dad doesn't drop his hint about this game by humming Hava Nagila...

Anonymous said...

Have a good evening Ian. Good job not many people read your blog ... otherwise the pub would be mobbed with folks dropping in to say Hi to you and "Happy Birthday, Iain's Ma"!

Anonymous said...

You mean Kenya v England, don't you? Nobody's interested in football these days -- cricket is far more sensational.

Wilma Flintstone

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Ian's Mum! I'm a March 27 baby too :)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't bother watching the England game.....

David Anthony said...

"Lampard had a good game"

Anonymous said...

what ever you do, don't watch your recording of the england game - if you do, I'll see you at beachey head....

Mac

Anonymous said...

Iain

This Bob Woolmer murder has the makings of a very big story indeed.

I watched BW play his first game at the St Lawrence. Strangly I had a feeling then that this guy was going to be a very important figure in the game one day.

Judging by the way he played that day I also felt it was not going to be for playing cricket.

Strange thing feelings.

Gavin said...

Hope you all had a very enjoyable evening, Iain. There's nothing like a good meal shared in a country pub!

Anonymous said...

I remember my mum once telling me "OK, I wont tell you the result... But you wont see any goals"