Saturday, February 07, 2009

Charles Clarke Wants to Replace David Miliband

I've just read James Macintyre's gripping interview with Charles Clarke in this week's New Statesman. It's clear he's gagging to be back in government, and, it seems, preferably as Foreign Secretary. Clarke spends the first half of the interview explaining how Tony Blair told him it had been his plan to make him Foreign Secretary in order to give him a perch to challenge Gordon Brown from in a leadership campaign. What neither Clarke, nor MacIntyre do, though, is to explain why Blair never followed through. Instead, he made the baffling decision to appoint Margaret Beckett to the post.

Clarke confirms the rumour that before the events which led to his sacking, Blair had seen him as a foreign secretary in the making, and makes a startling claim. "It's very interesting. I knew nothing of this. Tony told me the day after he sacked me that he [had] wanted to make me foreign secretary, and I was staggered. He said it had long been his plan to make me foreign secretary; that is what he wanted to be the case. And he and Cherie then asked me and Carol [his wife] down to Chequers a week after, for a dinner, just the four of us, and we went right through it.

"He had a great plan, apparently, that he wanted me to be foreign secretary because he thought that if I had been foreign secretary and home secretary I would be a credible opponent to Gordon, as the leader of the party. And this had been his long-standing strategy, and that was what he had been intending to do, and that's what he hoped to do. Which ran against, of course, what I had said to him about feeling I needed to do home secretary for three or four years. I knew nothing about this until after the event, and I said to him if he was nice enough to think I ought to be leader of the party, then he might as well have been courteous enough to tell me this was his plan."

His recollection of the botched plan reaffirms not just the extent of the tension between Blair and Brown, but also Blair's ability to fumble his own reshuffles. Instead of appointing Clarke to the Foreign Office, he replaced the incumbent, Jack Straw, with the environment secretary, Margaret Beckett, who expressed her own surprise at the move by reportedly saying: "Fuck, I'm stunned." Beckett was replaced by David Miliband when Brown took office in June 2007.

Ironically, as he confirms, the one position he would have accepted - foreign secretary - was the one job Blair now felt unable to offer him. Although the prime minister offered him Defence "and other jobs" that he rather unconvincingly claims not to regret taking, Blair had thrown him to the wolves of the tabloid press.

"I think he was very weak," says Clarke, who had told Blair after the 2005 election that he would need several years in the job to unearth problems precisely of the sort that led to his sacking. "I thought he should have seen it through. In fact, he told me as late as the Wednesday before he sacked me that he was going to see it through . . . after Prime Minister's Questions, that Wednesday, in his office, and I think that's what he should have done.

"I think he was very preoccupied about the local elections that day . . . And there was a general pressure on Tony with the possible leadership challenge coming round the corner that was all being talked about."

Clarke believes he was used as a "scapegoat". "I think he felt he had to act and not allow the media to get at him, and I was a victim of that. It was serious weakness on Tony's part, and I regret it and for all I know he regrets it as well. But there we are - that's life. It remains one of the very few examples, I think, of there being no resignation letter: I did not write a letter to resign because I did not resign: I was sacked from that job, and I didn't wish to do that."

The timing of this interview is interesting in that it comes in a week when the current Foreign Secretary is at his lowest political ebb. David Miliband was humiliated in India, looked like a schoolboy when meeting Hillary Clinton and made a fool of himself over the Guantanamo torture case. Funny that Clarke should talk about his foreign policy views now, then. Not. If ever there was a politician who could spot a wounded political beast, it is Charles Clarke. The trouble is, he is never quite brave enough to go in for the kill.

Read the full interview HERE.

24 comments:

Philipa said...

Sooty would be better than the Milliband creature.

Me said...

He'd've been a complete embarassment. He'd have nailed all the sandwiches and taken up far too much space in the photos and he's the only politician who looks worse in a suit than Boris.

Chucklenuts said...

I suppose that at the very least a he would never have been photographed with a live banana.

NORFOLK COAST said...

Interesting up to a point but it all now seems like years ago.

Colin said...

Ophelia Nobbs@6:18pm said...

"I suppose that at the very least a he would never have been photographed with a live banana."

You're right. He'd have eaten all the bananas and the pies and the...

As for Philipa @5:54.

The use of THAT word is unacceptable. I'm traumatised, in fact I'm starting to lose feeling in my legs. Help me, someone...

Anonymous said...

Philipa -
We already have a glove puppet as Chancellor.

You may be right Mr Dale - or rather Clarke may be right. But really - out of base self preservation (fuelled by Clarkes incompetence) Blair sacks Clarke.
Next day he come all over 'its nothing personal, just business' with him.
'Oh yes Charles if only, if only, I would have made you Foreign Secretary what a pity, your great really.'

Whose dumber, Clarke for believing him or Blair for thinking he could get away with it or journalists for being so gullible.

I cannot believe a caravanner would use language like that - it means she can never be invited onto The One Show again of course.

Oh and Philipa, Colin is right, you cannot use words like sooty any more - certainly not in front of Jo Brand.

DespairingLiberal said...

Milliband almost never fails to come across as fake, dilettante and an incredibly out of touch silly posh spoiled baby. Shame really, as Britain could do with a Foreign Secretary just now, but sadly, hasn't got one.

Not that Clarke would be much better. Ironically, although I can't stand him, of all the New Labour chronies on offer, Mandlesohn would presumably be most effective as ForSec.

Beckett was an utter failure in the job, as she has been at most others.

Can anyone even remember who the Conservative offering for the job is?

Iain Dale said...

Yes, but even I had to think who the LibDem was. That colossus Ed Davey, YeGods.

Conand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Conand said...

Hang on! Clarke (& Blunkett, again) was disgraced over the foreign prisoners scandal. But then Mandy has been disgraced, is it twice? At least that. I can't really remember the exact figures. Brown is also thoroughly disgraceful.
Yes Despairing Liberal I do remember who the 'Conservative offering' is. He's a famous and admired politician who has recognition numbers that would make any IlibUnDem politician wet their pants.
Basically, Miliband is a pathetic joke. Should Charles Clarke replace him? Yes, it would make Labour look even weaker and would cause bad blood in the 'Labour family'. Not that they really like families, which are a bourgeois construct designed to oppress women dontcha know?
Is Ed Davey the one who walked out of the Commons chamber? I remember the face (But that's only because I'm quite into politics.)
I'm worried that Iain finds a piece about internal zaNuLiebore machinations 'gripping'. For my own part, I am terribly terribly bored by them. They should go now really. Pretty please.

DespairingLiberal said...

I suppose that barb wasn't totally unfair Iain, in that for a moment I couldn't remember who Ed Davey was! Still trying to recall the Con ForeSec though... Willie... Billie... William something, I'm sure of it. Chap with a shiny head. And his policies? Er. Ehmmm. Hates Europe? Think that's it isn't it?

Conand said...

'Hates Europe?'

Nope, just isn't very into the Federalist Model of the EU. (Like most people really)

DespairingLiberal said...

Sorry Conand, yes, I should have said, "is still slavishly and fantastically brainlessly following the recidivism of Bill Cash and his unlikely bunch of neo-18th Century priggish backbench xenophobes in their knee-jerk reaction to all things EU". Hope that's clearer.

However, now that I've gotten that of my chest, I have to confess that I also believe the federalist project to be flawed, because the EU politocracy have tried to bring it in covertly. If there had been an open discussion for several decades about a stated plan for a United States of Europe, they might have got further.

The current depression, er, recession will presumably bring about the final collapse in the secrecy aspect.

JPT said...

'Charles Clarke Wants to Replace David Miliband'
With what?

Bond007 said...

Iain - did you refer to Miliband as a political 'beast'? I thought that the term 'beast' in politics is someone that commands authority?

Anyway, hasn't anyone noticed how much Charles Clarke uses the word 'and'?

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Unashamedly off topic, Dangerous Dave is claiming he's sending his kids to a state school.

He must be mad. He's playing politics with the lives of his children.

If I had the money to send my kids to Eton, then to Eton they would go.

As it was, they went to modest independent schools, free of wet and creduluous vegetarian trots for teachers, and free of knife carrying Afro-Caribbeans.

Dave's a tit. And worse, he's a fake tit in an uplift bra.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Clarke is an absolute fantasist.

Look back over all his pronouncements and protestations about anything to do with his political career and you will see that almost all of it falls in to the "fantasy politics" category.

I wonder if he sits at home working his way through the second bottle of claret imagining all the things that might have been and just slips a little bit in to the things that might still be to come, mode.

At this point, he's pissed, obviously, so when he wakes up in the morning, he's not quite sure if the things he imagined might in fact have happened. Like that lunch with Tony & Cherie at Chequers - very nice Bordeaux, I recall - I'm sure it was Foreign Secretary he was going to make me, just before he sacked me.......

Man's a fool!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Blair was just trying to let Clarke down gently - Clarke has an amazingingly inflated opinion of himself. I

Johnny Norfolk said...

Anyone would be better than Miliband even clarke.
He is a boy trying to do a mans job.

Corporal Jones said...

Just shows how desperate Blair was to keep Brown out.

I don't think Clarke is trying for a job just yet (unless he's mad) because he has revealed the depths to which the blessed Tony was prepared to go to keep the ***-**** ******** idiot out of number 10.

They are positioning themsleves for the next leadership election. But it is far from certain that Clarke will be an MP by then.

Mitch said...

and never quite good enough to run a whelk stall,this is all rubbish he just wants people to know he isn't dead.
if the truth be told blair promised anyone anything just to get through the day.

look where we got too.

DespairingLiberal said...

Mitch, yes, I wonder if this "admission" to Clarke by Blair was actually just another of Blair's little fantasies.

Fantastically sick-making seeing Obama fawning over Blair yesterday. Also quite revealing politically. Perhaps Obama is more of a neocon than many give him credit for - certainly Blair is a lot further right than many of you around here realise. He was actually a Tory and (it is not unreasonable to suspect) conceivably some sort of Agent.

I think those he chose for jobs mostly fell either into the camp of chummy pals (Mandelson, Cambell, Lord Levy) or essentially useless people that he didn't feel showed him up too much (Beckett, Prescott, Clarke).

Brown was of course the one big exception but Blair was forced to have him.

Many of you who think Brown is some sort of raving leftie should though reflect on the fact that he never contradicted Blair once on the fundamentals of his Light Touch neocon, neoliberal agenda.

Chucklenuts said...

"Martin Day said...

Clarke has an amazingly inflated opinion of himself.

February 07, 2009 8:08 PM"


If you think about it, 'inflated' is right on the money.

Anonymous said...

I wish we could all choose between David Miliband and David Cameron! Now that would be a real choice. Call that election now.

I could never support a government with Gordon Brown as PM. Brown does not have a mandate. I might like David Cameron - but I DO NOT trust the rest of his party!

Charles Clarke ? Get a life.

Alan Johnson? OK, I'm interested.

Bring it on.