Friday, May 14, 2010

The Weeks The LibDems Proved They Are Not a Pressure Group



Someone on Twitter has helpfully reminded me of what I said at the Oxford Literary Festival in April 2009 about the possibility of a Con-Lib coalition. Watching it again, I am astonished at my prescience! And Ed Vaizey's! Watch from 2.30 to 4.00.

There's a line in the answer I gave there that I have often, and has really riled LibDems. I said that after the election they would have to decided whether they were a pressure group, content to snipe from the sidelines, or a political party, which wamted to wield power and change things. Well, let me say this.

This week the Liberal Democrats answered that question. They stepped up to the mantle and came of age as a political party.

6 comments:

JMB said...

Guido has written about the Weirdie Beardie activists in the Liberal party. I wonder if their party will benefit is some of these activists go off and join the Green party where they will probably feel more at home. Most seem to be really just protesters with no long term interest in actually getting involved in government.

Anonymous said...

Going on Peter Hitchens form that day, I assume that he isn't too thrilled about a Conservative / LibDem coalition either?

Gordon Brown said...

even the bells were tolling for the Clegg Cameron wedding as you spoke!

Span Ows said...

Listening to Peter Hitchens, especially in the last minute I think we all know where any 'blame' needs to rest for not getting an outright Conservative Majority. Hitchens, Heffer et al combined with UKIP desrve any 'blame' that comes their way. They seemed intent at every opportunity on hampering the noble actions of the new inexperienced policeman (who came to save them from the evil zombie army Brown and the Labour luvvies) just because he wasn't their ideal hero to be saved by. They almost succeeded and can now live with something they want even less.

(I hope my meaning isn't lost!)djosmith

viikkie said...

Before Labour, Liberal Party was.Whats new? A merger? A coalition? I think not. What we have is history repeating itself. Would be interesing to watch...

Gerry57 said...

Very wise and prophetic words Iain. I would've liked to have heard your answer on the first question about climate change/ AGW.